3.7.07

Village outreaches, more dance lessons, and life stories.

My latest project at TASO has been to make a book with all of the personal testimonies of the group members. I’m going to send a copy of the book back here (to TASO Jinja), and then a copy will stay in Canada. My mom wanted me to buy a bunch of necklaces from the TASO group (they make them as an income generating activity) – and she will be selling them (and making earrings with them?) from Canada. So a copy of the book will go with the necklaces (at least at first), so that people can read the stories of the people who have made the necklaces. I am ecstatic about making it, and will keep me busy when I get home. It’s incredible, as the members are super excited about having their testimonies (life stories kind of about them, their past, their families, and how they came to be infected with the virus, their current situation, etc.) written down – and excited for people to read about them in Canada. I think it will be really eye-opening for people at home to read as well – as it really puts a face to the pandemic, rather than just hearing the number of people that are infected, people can hear their stories, and see their faces. The members are leaders in their community and have no same whatsoever in sharing their story with whoever will listen, such to encourage others to live positively as well as to prevent others from becoming infected.

Last week I bought a package of paper and some pens, and those who are able to write in English have written their testimonies down for me. Others have told me while I am at the TASO center and I have written them down verbatim. A couple of the members have helped translate for those that speak only little bits of English. So the past week has been really busy in trying to organize everyones testimonies and taking photographs (which they love!). So far I have 22 stories, and have a couple more to do. I feel so privileged to have hear their stories. Most of them are so deeply personal – stories of being orphaned, raped, married at a young age because they had no money for school fees, being cheated on, and being widowed. It was hard and kind of strange to write out some of their stories, as I have grown so accustomed to seeing their smiling faces over the past month – and I find their courage and strength in carrying on after such hardships, amazing. Also, I feel so connected to them now – more than ever. I am already dreading saying goodbye in the next coming weeks. I’m trying to plan what I’m going to do for my last days – I’m thinking going to the market and buying a bunch of fruit for everyone in the group. It doesn’t really seem like enough though…

In the book, I’m also going to include some pictures from practices at the TASO center as well as pics that I have taken when we go out in the villages to sensitize. Last Thursday we went to a Muslim primary school about an hour or so away. Lots of fun, and I stood up in front of all the kids and introduced myself and what I have been doing since I arrived in Jinja – which they found hilarious! Friday, went out again with the drama group to a villag and Vicki came. As a thank you from the village, they provided lunch – rice, matooke (warm, mashed, green bananas), and a pot full of fish stew (lots of fish heads….mmmm). Yesterday (Monday), had my second African dance lesson. I’m still horrible, but its lots of fun. Also, sang "Oh Canada" for them the other day - which they enjoyed.

Dance practice.... the pictures with me in them (from the first practice) are on my other memory card... so I'll post when i get home.
Part of the audience at one of the village outreaches.
The kids who laughed at me - hahaaha at the Muslim primary school we visited.
Part of the drama group relaxing before one of the performances.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.