29.7.07

Ode to Vicki!!!!!!

Wanted to write a little post about Vicki – whom I spent nearly every minute with when I wasn’t at TASO. We got along incredibly well, I learned a lot from this girl, and had many wonderful conversations with her.

One of the things that I struggled with a bit while I was in Uganda, was religion. I’ve gone to church, but I wasn’t brought up as a Christian. I feel in many ways that I am spiritual, but believe more so in being what I consider to be a “good person” in my every day life – trying my best to be kind to everyone, and being compassionate and caring to those around me to the best of my ability. In Uganda, you are either Chrisitan or you are Muslim. If you are neither, you believe in traditional religion (witchcraft type stuff). The people I met in Uganda are extremely open and forward in discussing religion. People that I just met would ask me if I was born again, if I believed Jesus was my saviour, etc. I wasn’t really prepared for this. I had never been so confronted with religion, so immersed in a culture where it is so important. When I explained to people that I am spiritual in a sense, but not Christian per se – that I am interested in learning about many different religions; some people tried to convince me that other religions were “wrong” and misguided, and they counseled me that I still had time “to be saved”. I think many aspects of religion (be it Christianity, or anything else), are great. But some of the ways that the Church works in Uganda, seemed a little backwards to me. For example: people would talk about how devote they are, yet they would cheat on their partners on a regular basis.
A lot of it seemed as though the actions of praising God, and going to church seemed more important than being a “good Chrisitan” in day to day life. Looking back it was a neat process to go through, and I found it really interesting to learn about how crucial a role religion plays in life in Uganda. I must admit though, I found it difficult at times because I would find myself explaining my position (in hour long conversations about religion) a couple times a week. Vicki, really helped me through this process. She’s a Christian (and studied at a bible college in New Zealand for a year) – and whenever I would become frustrated with it, I would talk to her. She had a lot of patience with me, and would answer questions I had, and would explain her views on things. I found it refreshing to talk to her – and definitely gave me some new perspectives on Christianity and religion in general.

Vicki – thank you for all the porch sits, awesome talks, hugs, and laughs, the early morning runs (when I got up for them – haha…runs with headlamps), staying up all night with me when I had food poisoning, all the DUCKS and ACDs. I couldn’t have asked for anything more, or a better person to travel and share this incredible experience with. Your hippy-ness has started to wear off on me – and my first time grocery shopping in Canada, I bought chick peas, tuna, and granola. Before I know it I’ll be walking around barefoot and have dreads (hahah…jk… I don’t think I will ever go THAT far). I can’t wait for the Summerland (aka. Super Happy Fun Land) reunion! Love you so much!

In case you haven’t seen it, Vicki also has a blog: www.vkharris.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Laura said...

Well, Leslie, I have spent the better part of the last hour catching up on reading your blog. You are much more detailed than Vicki, so it was great hearing more about your adventures with my daughter. We will be happy to see you in sunny Summerland (but you really should be here NOW for that) and look forward to meeting you someday:)
Laura Harris