9.6.07

HIV/AIDS: Personalized

Prior to coming to Uganda, I tried to prepare through my 3rd year independent study – by reading and learning as much as I could about the pandemic in this country. I read studies, national reports, and attended conferences and lectures to learn as uch as I could about the intricacies of HIV and AIDS – woven into the fabric of this continent in a sense. Although this provided me with a little background, I don’t think I could ever really be prepared.

In the short time that I have been volunteering with TASO (and spending time in Uganda), I have come to learn and appreciate that a national prevalence rate of 7% (approx.), is much more daunting, realistic and saddening when you meet those infected (and affected) – see their faces, and say their names. All the statistics that I had read – seemed dehumanizing. The reality of children being orphaned by AIDS is that much more difficult when you talk and play with them.

I feel ashamed, guilty and embarrassed in a way for the things I worry about at home – be it ex-boyfriends, school, and all the small things. Life seems so uch more difficult here. The people so much more grateful and patient. When I arrive to volunteer at TASO – by 8:45 or 9:00, patients (between 100-300 daily) are lined up waiting to get counseling, medical care and ARVs. Many come for their appointments once a month from villages hours away, knowing thatthey will likely wait for the better part of the day to be served. What’s ore is that, many are peasants with minimal ways of gaining incoe, who ust make the long and relatively expensive journey to TASO in Jinja every month. It makes complaints about wait times in Canada seem kind of ridiculous. Really puts things into perspective.

I have found so far the people living with AIDS absolutely inspiring. Their spirits courageous, unashamed and resilient to the toll the pandemic has had on the country. Most of the clients that come into TASO look very healthy, indifferentiable from other Ugandans I see around town. The other day I spent the morning talking with a group of women living with AIDS, who were making necklaces to sell. They were boisterous, full of life, laughing and talking. They were straightforward in asking me questions about Canada. If there are AIDS support groups for women in Canada? And how stigmatized AIDS is in Canada. Wonderful women, I look forward to more conversations with them over the next month. They also renamed me with a Ugandan name as they (as do most Ugandans), found my name very strange and difficult to pronounce. So my new Ugandan name is Namulondo – which means from the monkey clan in the Busoga tribe (I think…that’s what I understood)

Finding my time with TASO so far incredible – but taxing emotionally at times. I have done some different things so far – everyday a little different. I went on a clinic outreach to a village two and a half hours away (long 11 hour day!!!), helped in the pharmacy counting drugs, helped recording all the clients who have come and spent one day in the children’s day center for HIV positive children (as well as a few negative children whose parents are positive and had no caretakers for the day). There is so much to learn.
I don’t think that my words due justice to what I’m feeling.

Link to TASO: www.tasouganda.org

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Namulondo, Leslie,

My name is Niki, I work at Aon in Wpg. Your Mom spent time with me for my first 2 1/2 days, 2 1/2 years ago. This is how I came upon your blog, your Mom led the way.
I just want to say that every time I check in and read your new posts, I can only imagine the pride that your Mother must surely feel,having such an incredible, brave and selfless daughter.
You may think that your words don't do justice to your feelings, but trust me, those of us reading your blog know that some things are just far too great to put into words. Despite that, I think you do a remarkable job conveying your journey. I'm in awe.
Please be safe and never lose your compassion, which clearly, is in no danger of being lost any time soon.
Peace. Niki.