8.5.07

The long trip to Jinja (with tons of stops on the way!)




Yesterday was the crash course in everything about Uganda. We drove through Kampala which is insanely busy! Driving is crazy because there are people walking on the roads everywhere, people biking with huge packages, and then these little motorcycle/moped type taxis that swerve in between traffic everywhere. You have to be really good with the brakes! Most definitely the craziest driving I have ever seen – I thought I was going to be in accident at least 5 times.

Out of the city is absolutely beautiful. I am completely swept away in the scenery. EVERYTHING is so green and lush and the ground is a deep, deep red. Absolutely beautiful!!! Beautiful jungles, and lots of flowers. Still a ton of poverty, but I guess that is to be expected.

So we drove to the ADRIFT head office. ADRIFT is a river rafting/adventure company in Jinja – that helps GIVE International (the NGO I am with) set up volunteer placements. Met the director and a couple other people in the office. From there checked out the Uganda National Museum with Emma who is my go-to man in Jinja (absolutely fabulous guy!) – very neat stuff about colonialism as well as neat things on the different tribal groups here (and there different masks, hunting tools, jewelry, etc.). Very cool! I’m a dummy and had my camera packed away so unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures yesterday – but I’m sure there will be time to go back. From the museum went to the bank in downtown Kampala and exchanged money and then went to grad a bite to eat.

Next drove to Jinja. They took me to Bukalji Falls (sp?) where there is a campground and rapids. There are guys that work there that ride a jerry can down the BIG rapids for a dollar or so. I thought they were mad – but the guy came out alive. ABSOLUTELY INSANE!!! Next time I go I am going to take a video.

Next went to the ADRIFT campsite and checked it out. Really nice place where they have cabins and safari tents, skydiving, quads and white water rafting. I hope to go up and stay there a couple times on the weekends! Looks great! Also met Anne (from California) and Johanne (from South Africa) who work there. Really nice – and let me email home to stay arrived safely.

After checked out the Source of the Nile which is where Lake Victoria feeds into the Nile River. Really neat, but by this point I was absolutely exhausted. They offer boat rides – and I’d like to go back one night and do that.

Wow busiest day ever! Plus jetlag and I was pooped. Arrived at the Busoga Trust Guesthouse where I am staying. Really cute place – they have a little kitchen and I have a room with two beds (not sure if I will have a roommate later on or not) and my own washroom. Very basic, but exactly what I need. I was happy to find out that there are quite a few other people my age staying here. So far 5 British students – all in their gap year before Uni – who are in Jinja teaching at the high schools for six months. (since Feb – and leaving in August). They are “absolutely brilliant” – cool to have people to play cards and watch TV with in the evenings. They have already started to give me lots of tips on how to get around, etc.

Last night was really hard to sleep. It’s REALLY loud at night – tons of birds, dogs barking, insects buzzing, roosters, and this morning at about 5 am army marching and singing. Hahha- I’m sure with time I will get used to it.

Took my first Boda Boda ride in to town this morning. A little scary at first but it seems to be the way everyone gets around here. I visited two orphanages where I will probably be volunteering and Emma is in the process of trying to set up a placement at the Jinja hospital so that I will have more exposure to learn more about the pandemic. The kids are soooo cute – and at the one orphange they all call you aunt ___, so by the time I left they were all calling my aunt Leslie – sooo cute!

People are fantastic here, really friendly. I am having a little bit of trouble with the accent still – but I’m sure with time that will come. Well I should go before this computer kicks me off! Anyways doing well, and loving it so far. I’ll see what I can do for adding pictures next time! With love,
Leslie.






No comments: